2023 English Taught Ph.D. Programs at College of Engineering
STUDY WITH US!
2023 English Taught Ph.D. Programs
at College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing, China
Welcome to College of Engineering at Peking University
Focusing on future engineering science and new technology – that’s what engineering at Peking University is all about.
Home to distinguished faculty
The 110 faculty and teaching and research staff at our college are renowned both at home and abroad in their individual fields. Most of the faculty has overseas experience, working or studying in leading universities prior to joining the College of Engineering. They are conducting cutting-edge research in fields ranging from physical sciences and energy to public health and industrial management.
Departments & Programs
Reestablished in 2005, the College of Engineering currently incorporates five departments: Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics, Department of Energy & Resources Engineering, Department of Industrial Engineering & Management, the Department of Mechanics & Engineering Science and the Department of Advanced Manufacturing and Robotics. 9 Ph.D. programs have been set up in order to cultivate the next generation of leaders in engineering practice, research and education.
Ph.D. Programs offered at College of Engineering
General Mechanics and Foundation of Mechanics (080101)
Solid Mechanics (080102)
Fluid Mechanics (080103)
Engineering Mechanics (080104)
Mechanics (Biomechanics and Mechanical Engineering) (080120)
Mechanics (Dynamical Systems and Control) (080121)
Mechanics (Energy and Resources Engineering) (080124)
Mechanics (Aerospace Engineering) (080125)
Mechanics (Industrial and Systems Engineering) (080126)
Students are required to complete the curriculum between 4 years (in normal circumstances), fulfill the designated number of credits, conduct research, complete the doctoral thesis and defend it in front of a panel of experts. Students with bachelor’s degree pursuing PhD degree in subjects of sciences or continuous program that involves postgraduate and doctoral studies, their study period at Peking University is normally 5 years. Successful graduates will receive a graduation certificate with the doctoral degree, according to the regulation of the Degree Committee.
1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport, with no criminal records, healthy both physically and psychologically, friendly to China and abiding by the laws and decrees of China. Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan who have emigrated to other countries and are applying to Peking University as international students must present valid passport or citizenship documents dating from before April 30, 2017, along with proof of cancellation of Chinese nationality.
2) Applicants for Ph.D. Program must have attained a master's degree. Students with bachelor’s degree could apply for PhD program in subjects of sciences or continuous program that involves postgraduate and doctoral studies.
1. Contact an Appropriate Professor
In order to apply for a Program, the potential applicant must find an appropriate faculty member. Potential applicants should contact prospective research advisors to proactively discuss potential research plans. For more information on our faculty members, we offer a Staff Search tool at http://en.coe.pku.edu.cn/faculty/index.htm
2. Application materials:
1) Peking University Application Form for International Students (Master and Ph.D. Programs) with a photograph fixed. Please visit http://www.studyatpku.com, fill in the application form and submit, then print a hardcopy for reference.
2) Graduation certificate and degree diploma (Students expecting to graduate should provide an official letter stating expected graduation date), must be notarized documents or certified copies either in Chinese or English.
3) Official transcripts of your academic achievement up to the present, including courses taken and standard achieved, must be original documents or certified copies either in Chinese or English.
4) A personal statement (1500 words for doctorate program in English).
5) Two recommendation letters from your referees. The referees should be professors or persons with relevant academic title. At least one of them should have knowledge of your recent academic work. The format of the recommendation letter must be original documents either in Chinese or English.
6) A copy of your TOEFL results: Students who do not speak English as the first language must have taken the TOEFL with a score of over 90, unless they have received a bachelor’s degree from an English speaking university.
7) One photocopy of your valid passport (passport type must be ordinary).
8) Table of contents and abstracts of your academic publications and any other original achievement in your field.
Note: Two copies of all application materials are required, one original and one duplicate. Please hand in personally or sent them by post to International Students Division of Peking University (The envelope must be marked “Application for Graduate Admission”).
3. Application Fee: 800 RMB
Non-refundable. Paid in cash, by Yinlian bank card or through online payment. Any other currency or travel check would not be accepted.
4. Application Period: From now to February 28, 2023.
Please make sure mailed materials arrive before deadline to:
Room 330, New Sun Student Center,
International Students Division,
Office of International Relations
Peking University, Beijing 100871
People's Republic of China
Tel: (86-10)-6275 1230, Fax: (86-10)-6275 1233
Web site: www.isd.pku.edu.cn, www.oir.pku.edu.cn
1) Initial Screening. After the International Student Division send the application information which meet the basic application requirements to CoE, an admissions committee in each department comprised of CoE faculty and invited international professors select qualified students based on application information. The strength of the recommendation letters, the academic record at the applicant’s undergraduate/graduate institution, and his/her research agenda, with its fit within the general research interests of CoE’s faculty, are all evaluated, as evidence of intellectual ability and a commitment to a career in research;
2) Evaluation Interview. Applications who passed the screening will receive an Evaluative Interview around April 2023, which may include one or more video interviews;
3) The admission committee makes its recommendations for admission to CoE. Peking University makes the official admission decisions and an Admission Notice will be sent to the successful candidates by the end of June, 2023.
Tuition Fee (per person per year): 40,000 RMB
We encourage and support all the successful candidates to apply for scholarships at PKU. Detailed information please read: http://oldisd.pku.edu.cn/HOME/SCHOLARSHIP/General_Information.htm
As an example, Chinese Government Scholarship will provide:
Your Contact at College of Engineering
The International Relations Office of College of Engineering
We are there to give you guidance and support before and during your stay at College of Engineering at PKU and look forward to welcoming you!
Ms. Zhang, Director
Office of International Relations,
College of Engineering,